Book review: Uprooted

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Suggesting books is one of my favorite parts of being a librarian, but I’m not the only person here doing that. I often listen to the suggestions of students, and there’s one student whose suggestions I follow like doctrine. He’s proved himself right so many times, and he’s told me what his parents are reading, too. He recommended Uprooted by Naomi Novik because his mom had just started reading it and she thought it was perfection.

That was all I needed to hear!

I started Uprooted the next day, and it captured my attention from the first page. It’s a fantasy, set in a kingdom far far away, where there’s magic, corrupted royalty, and forests that have been taken over by evil spirits.¬†Agnieszka’s valley has a protector who keeps the Wood at bay. All “the Dragon” asks if for the village to provide him with a servant, a new one every 10 years. The prettiest girl is always taken, so Agnieska prepares herself for the loss of her best friend, Kasia. Only when the Dragon visits to claim his newest servant, his attention is drawn elsewhere.

THIS IS SO GOOD. Get at it, fantasy readers.

AS